Sunday, February 1, 2009

Applying First Coat of Floor Finish

I don't know if I mentioned that three of the guys from System Three came to the site for the application of the first coat of floor finish. System Three manufactured all of the resin for this project and custom tinted it, too. I also used their urethane top coat for the columns, seats, and platforms. For the floor, they're chemist, John Bartlet, formulated a custom coating using the most durable, water-based urethane combined with robust UV inhibitors to protect the epoxy and pigments. He worked with my floor guy, Craig Munson from Seattle Floor Service, to make sure it was a top notch product. Below, Tyler is wiping the floor clean after sanding to prepare for finishing.

When we started applying finish, everyone grabbed a brush and started cutting in. Dick Anderson, System Three VP of sales, and John Bartlet, VP of R&D, are in the yellow hard hats. When I first met with System Three about 2 years ago for this project, John Bartlet tried to talk me out of it. Once I started showing them samples and getting serious about process, he and Dick jumped on board and gave me a ton of first class support. I couldn't have done this project so well without these two guys.


Here's Craig applying finish. I'm behind the post with my applicator desperately trying not to screw the finish up like I did with my hardwood floors in my own house.



Here's the team photo. From left to right, Dick Anderson, Craig Munson, John Bartlet, myself, and Tyler Cufley.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment