Friday, January 2, 2009

Rollin Street timber salvaging

After nearly three years since I got my commission to make a work of art for Vulcan's Rollin Street Flats at the corner of Westlake and Denny, I'm finally installing the work. This is how the fabrication stage for my Rollin Street Flats project started on a sunny in February of 2007.
Here's some images of my studio as I worked with those 100 year old timbers after salvaging them from the Rollin Street site during demolition of the former buildings.Installation for the project started at the end of November with anchoring 8 tall timbers into the structural slab. Fabrication Specialties handled the heavy lifting. The next phase of installation starts next week and continues for about 4 weeks. I'll try to update with photos as it happens.Add ImageAdd Image